Friday, March 12, 2010

"Good Morning, how can I help you?"


487 Hours, checked out on all practicals, with a GPA of 98.7 today is my last day as a "junior." On Saturday I moved into Phase II of my 1800 hour program -- advanced color and cutting classes, and the salon. The salon with real clients. On Saturday I worked the desk.

The last time I worked at a reception desk it was the Summer of 1981. The agency was Waring & LaRosa (no longer in existence of course). When I think back to it, it must have been a sizable agency. There were "real" (i.e. national) accounts -- Ragu', Perrier, Aziza, Fischer-Price. I was a general assistant doing everything-- bookkeeping, competitive spending reports, assistant producer stuff, typing, and print traffic. I once ran the wrong Cutty Sark ad in the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit issue. The ads were seasonal and instead of the ad with the couple in the pool, by mistake I ran the one with the guy watching football with his dog. I didn't even get the slightest wrist slap (so now that I think about it, maybe is wasn't my fault after all. I do seem to remember learning about "make goods"). In any event, I felt just terrible. I can't imagine that an equivalent mistake could be made in the salon. Well, actually it could, but it won't be me.

No comments: