Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Beauty School Hair


I held out for six months, but yesterday I finally got jacked up beauty school hair.

It actually started about three months ago when I decided I needed something a bit more hip and thought a single silver/gray streak would be just the thing. One of the contestants on the reality show Shear Genius had all-over silver/gray hair with a black streak; I thought it looked cool and that I'd just reverse it. (http://www.bravotv.com/shear-genius/photos/amy) Since I'm 90% gray letting a streak go natural wouldn't be difficult. So for many weeks I've been growing out a little piece of gray. I'd be hesitant to get the existing color in my "streak" stripped out because I was afraid it wouldn't work, would ruin my hair, or would just be weird. Then last week there was an article in the New York Times: "Young Trendsetters Streak Their Hair With Gray," -- now that my choice was validated by the august NY Times. (http://tinyurl.com/ybjouhy) How could I go wrong?

I went wrong because I allowed myself to be the model for yesterday's color class. There was a lot of experimenting and little client consultation -- not how we would treat an actual client. See that bowl of hair over there in the picture? That's my BLOND hair that disintegrated after being bleached out for an HOUR. The idea was to strip it out, then put silver in. The silver didn't take.

I guess that's what I get for attempting to be a "trendy hipster."

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

We need to see a photo of the finished 'do!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for trying buddy! Please keep posting - I'm loving reading this. Thoughts on me starting a blog chronicling the first years of marriage - for the second time? xo rena